TECHNICAL PERFECTION

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

We all can feel overwhelmed by this idea of being perfect. In a hundred different ways I'm sure this is true. In a heavily saturated industry surrounded by incredible talent it's especially tough.

I've never considered myself to be one who strives for technical perfection; pin sharp, crisp light, counting every eyelash; it's just never been my thing. And that's alright.

Yes, I know, I can almost hear some of you cracking your knuckles, stretching your fingers, ready to blitz out a comment telling me otherwise but I think it's true. Hear me out.

We all fall in love with photography (or our respective fields) for a reason that's particular to us; something that drives us, or captures our imaginations, or just generally gives us the warm fuzzies.

For me, it's always been the idea of a story. There is something magical about peeking into the world of a fashion photograph, for me anyway. It's probably something to do with my bookworm escapist nature but I've always been mesmerised by the fashion story, the tale of the girl in the shots.

For you, it could be purely technical. You could have fallen in love with the shutter speeds, and apertures, and lens choices; you might love creating the world in print exactly as it's seen before you in minute detail.

That's just never been what's driven me. I don't think that makes one desire more valid than another, or one's art more worthy than another; that's just the way it is.

Over the last year however, I'd started to doubt this. I'd started to worry about technical perfection, I'd began picking apart my images, my kit, my choices.

This year I'm taking a step back. I'm consciously avoiding the pursuit of perfection. I'm going to break rules, and push boundaries, and try not to be swallowed up by the technical stuff.

With that in mind, I leave you with this.



The incredible Lara Jade for DigitalRev TV shooting fashion on a cheap children's camera.

It reminds me of the love I first had for photography; for the capturing of the moment, for the telling of a story, for the genuine fun of it.

I hope you guys are as excited for 2017 as I am. I can't wait to see what we all create this year.

Let me know what your thoughts are and your plans for this year! I want to hear all about them!

With love,
Rachael♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

500px Feed

Say hello